Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Power of Sharing

Thank you to the lovely ladies, Paula and Joanna, who graciously bestowed me with the Stylish Blogger award.

You Pay it Forward when you receive this award, so here we go:
1. Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers.
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

Seven things about me:
1. I daydream often about living in a house by the sea.
2. I love to knit, especially gifts for others, and wish I had more time to do it.
3. I learn something new from my five-year old son everyday.
4. I would love to quit my job and travel the world (Italy and France are at the top of the list).
5. I have a major sweet tooth.
6. I'm originally from the South and achingly miss the food, the accents, and the people.
7. I will someday write a book about how my losses have shaped my life.

Here's Round 1 of my favorite bloggers:

Alissa at On KK's Butterfly Wings.
Melissa at Amazing Mikayla Grace
Christa at Fumbling Towards Motherhood
Wifey at Semi-Fertile
Jennifer at The Blue Sparrow
Sharing Your Thoughts

It still amazes me that my words reach people and inspire comments and accolades. There are so many blogs out there now by bereaved parents. It's so sad that there are so many women who have these experiences to write about, and yet it's so comforting to know there are so many women who share what I feel. When I had my first miscarriage in 2003, I don't think these kinds of online resources existed (if they did, I was oblivious - and I looked...a lot). Now, you can find hundreds of blogs that are written about baby loss, and hopefully, find a few that resonate for you.

I think this explosion of online journals illustrates the need we have to share our thoughts and feelings. To say without censorship or shame what we feel, what we're experiencing, the struggles and pitfalls, the sorrow and the anger. After I spend time talking with my therapist, sharing with a mutual BL mom, and commiserating with my support group, I feel understood. I feel less alone. I feel lighter. The power of talking out the pain can not be underestimated. We all must find somebody we can talk to who will help us navigate the pain, who won't say "It was for the best" and "It's time to move on." We need people who will listen without judgment, care about your feelings more than their reaction to your feelings, and hold your hand as you feel through the pain. I hope you have someone in your life who does this for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment